The cold, dark days of winter can be draining, especially once the holidays are over. What can you do? Here are simple ways you can tweak your home, like investing in window shades in Durham, NC to encourage healthy habits and boost your winter wellness.
- Get Window Shades – Natural light is essential for health. If it’s too cold to spend time outside in the sun, boost the natural light in your house by investing in new windows, like cost-effective retrofit models that fit inside your existing frame. You can also revamp your window treatments with new window shade models to get more control over your light and privacy or add extra lamps or mirrors to your home to help light your home in the evenings.
- Make Space to Move – If you can’t go outside for exercise, make space to move inside. Set up a home gym area with a yoga mat, free weights, and anything else you need to inspire you to go get your sweat on.
- Soak In The Tub – Nothing feels better on a cold day than a hot bath. Warm baths can actually improve your mental and emotional health as well as relieve minor aches and pains.
- Upgrade Your Air Quality – Keeping your heater on full blast is good for your cold toes, but it’s not the best for the air quality inside your home. If your home is dry, use a humidifier to put moisture back in the air. If the air is musty, use an air purifier to freshen it.
- Stock Your Kitchen With Whole Foods – While comfort foods are comforting when it’s cold out, it’s best to have plenty of fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and whole grains on hand. When you eat well, you feel well! A healthy diet is important year-round, but especially in the winter season when colds are being passed around.
- Cozy Up Your Space – A cozy home is a must in the winter months. Make your home feel like a fluffy den by getting some extra blankets, throw pillows, and other soft textiles. Don’t forget to open your window treatments for some refreshing, warm natural light.
- Do Fireplace and HVAC Maintenance – To stay happy in the winter, you need to stay warm. Therefore, you need to make sure your fireplace and your heating system are in top shape. Clean your chimney at least once per year to clear away fire-causing creosote buildup and bring in a technician to do a checkup on your HVAC. As a bonus, the better your HVAC works, the more money you’ll save on energy spending.
- Refresh Your Bedroom – You can’t be healthy unless you get good sleep. A great way to boost your sleep is to refresh your bedroom. Give it a thorough cleaning, add in fresh throw pillows or blankets, and make sure your window treatments are functioning well enough to block light when you’re trying to sleep.
Winter can be tough on health, but it doesn’t have to be. Use these home tips to boost your winter wellness and call or visit us for more information on Durham, NC window shades, and more.