Adding window coverings to your Raleigh, NC home is a great way to enjoy more comfort, higher energy efficiency, more convenience, and even a higher home value. While windows and coverings have come a long way from what they used to be, they still need regular maintenance in order to perform and look their best. And this maintenance includes regular cleaning.
Why should you clean your windows and window coverings? Here are some of the benefits of regular cleanings:
- Aesthetics – Dirty windows and shutters are unsightly, there’s no way around it. From dirt and dust to grime and cobwebs, dirty windows look bad from both the inside and outside of your home.
- Protection from Damage – Dirt and other buildup can actually damage your window glass. Even if your windows aren’t visibly dirty, grime and dirt can create tiny scratches on the glass that will ruin your windows permanently. Not only do these scratches look unsightly, but they also cause even more dust and debris to cling to your window.
- More Natural Light – Grime, dirt, and other buildup on windows and shutters can block sunlight from entering your home. Not only is natural light beautiful and comforting, but less natural light also means less natural heat when it’s cold outside.
- Increased Energy Efficiency – The dirtier your windows and shutters are, the less energy efficient they can become. This is because tiny scratches in the window glass from dirt and debris can make the window glass less insulative, and therefore reduce the window’s overall efficiency.
- Protection for Window Accessories – Regularly cleaning your windows will also help protect your window accessories, like flower boxes, shutters, and other coverings, from damage. The more cobwebs and grime cover your window, the more cobwebs and grime will cover your accessories.
But how often should you clean your windows and window coverings? The common rule for residential windows is cleaning twice a year. But this number can go up depending on if you live on a busy street with lots of dust or there are lots of trees with pollen in your yard. You also need to consider your climate and environment when scheduling window cleanings. Think about these key things when planning how often you will clean your windows:
- Is there new construction in your area?
- How often do you clean your screens?
- Do you live close to busy streets?
- Are there lots of trees and pollen in your vicinity?
- Is there often high wind in your area?
- Did you remodel your home?
Kiwi Designs, Fine Blinds & Shutters is here to help if you want to learn more about window and shutter cleaning, maintenance, or Raleigh, NC window coverings. Stop by and visit us or give us a call today. After all, cleaning your windows and window coverings regularly will help keep them beautiful, efficient, and well-functioning for years to come. Plus, this chore will also help your home seem cleaner, brighter, and more pleasant.