You’re dreaming of updating your home. Maybe its revamping your bathrooms, redoing your kitchen, or adding window blinds to your Raleigh, NC home. For the majority of renovation projects, you need to hire a contractor in order to make sure the job is done well and safely.
But how do you hire a good contractor? What even makes a contractor good? Here is a list of qualities to look for when hiring a contractor for your next remodeling need:
- They Like What They Do – While everyone has bad days at work, it’s very important that your contractor likes being a contractor. This way, they’ll take pride in the work and will be sure to do a good job. Also, enthusiasm for a project will always make it much more pleasant for everyone involved.
- They’re Good at What They Do – You don’t want a novice or unknowledgeable contractor! Look for businesses with years of experiences, lots of references, and good reviews online.
- They Treat Your Home as Their Own – This comes into play in two ways. First, you should always feel as if whatever they’re suggesting for your home they would do to their own home. Second, they should be respectful of your home, space, and family. While your house is their jobsite, it’s also your home. They should keep the space organized and as clean as possible. Finally, they need to be understanding of the fact that your life needs to continue throughout the project and should therefore try and inconvenience you as little as possible.
- They Listen and Take Notes – It can be very frustrating when you explain your vision and the message gets lost or forgotten along the way. Look for a contractor that takes thorough notes of your conversations, vision, and desires for the project. Also, always get everything in writing so there’s a record of your talks.
- They’re In Decent Shape – Contracting is a physical job, and you need someone who’s up for the task of performing the work and keeping the jobsite safe. Efficiency is also a huge plus! Look for contractors that are nimble and in decent shape in order to perform the job well.
- They Have a Good Crew – Even a great contractor needs help sometimes. Ask options about possible crewmembers or subcontractors like electricians, painters, and plumbers and make sure it’s clear that anyone in your house is fully vetted and trustworthy.
- They Want to Show Off Their Work – Beyond providing references, your contractor should be excited to show you examples of past projects and success stories. Check out their website or ask for examples of local homes where they’ve completed jobs.
Remember, always trust your gut when choosing a contractor. You need to be comfortable with whoever is working in your home, and you need to be able to trust that they’re going to do good work and keep your family safe. Want more home improvement tips or information on Raleigh, NC window blinds? Kiwi Designs, Fine Blinds & Shutters is here to help! Stop by and visit us or give us a call today to learn more about what we can do for you and your home.