How can you keep the window coverings on your Raleigh, NC home beautiful year after year? Your window coverings are one of the most important features of your home. They let light in, help keep the air fresh, and even help keep your home at a comfortable temperature. Here are expert tips to help you maintain your windows and window treatments for years to come.
- Glass – Your window coverings won’t look good if the glass underneath is all dirty! Plus, your windows won’t let natural light in if the glass is covered in dust, dirt, and grime. Make your windows shine by cleaning the glass with a mixture of one cup white vinegar and one cup water in a spray bottle. Spritz and wipe them clean using a lint-free cloth. Don’t forget to clean both sides of the glass. You might be amazed at how much dulling dirt and dust build up inside.
- Soap and Water – Your window coverings are busy protect.
- ting your home from dust, dirt, wind, rain, humidity, and even intruders. It’s no wonder they get dirty! Even windows underneath shutters or other exterior treatments get covered in dirt, spider webs, and pollen. Give your window frames and treatments regular cleanings with mild dish soap and water, taking care to dry them thoroughly to prevent water or soap spots.
- Locks – As windows and coverings also offer protection, it’s a good idea to do regular checks and maintenance on the locking mechanisms. Check the make sure the locks function well. If they’re sticking, try using an anti-stick spray or invest in new ones.
- Weatherstripping – While technically not part of your window coverings, you should still do regular checks on your window weatherstripping. Run your hand around the edge of the window to feel for drafts or look for signs of sunlight. If the stripping is still sealed and in good condition, clean it thoroughly and apply a light coat of furniture wax for extra protection.
- Protection from the Elements – Your window treatments are always exposed to the elements, including sunshine. Luckily, there are new types of paints and stains that resist fading even in the face of bright light. If you’re in the mood for a new shutter color, this is a great opportunity to add a layer of protection for even more longevity. If you decide to change from a painted surface to a stain down the line, you can always strip the paint before applying the new stain.
- Curtains – Your window treatments beyond your coverings are a big part of how your window looks. As such, they need some love and care, too. Do your best to clean and maintain your window treatments, whether that means running the curtains through the washing machine or performing general maintenance on your window blinds.
We are here to help ensure your Raleigh, NC window coverings are the best they can be. Stop by and visit us today or give us a call to learn more about our services and what we can do for your window coverings