It’s not hard to keep pests out of your home with a little work and attention. The best way to get rid of pests in your home is to prevent them from getting inside in the first place. Here are tips, like sealing the window shutters on your Durham, NC home, to keep pests out:
- Seal Your Windows – Make sure your windows and doors are sealed tight against bugs. Inspect all windows and doors for small holes bugs can use to get in, including your sliding patio door and small basement windows. If you find any, seal them with caulk or simply invest in new replacement windows to lock out bugs and make your home more energy efficient. You can also invest in tighter window treatments like shutters.
- Replace Your Screens – Check all your window and door screens for holes or other damage. If necessary, mend the holes or get new screens. Make sure any screen you buy fits snug over the entire opening with no gaps.
- Remove Food Sources – Bugs and mice need to eat, so they’ll build their home wherever there’s food. Stop them from building a home in your home by removing possible food sources. Wipe down your counters and cooktops, vacuum or sweep, and clear your kitchen cabinets regularly. Don’t forget to keep food containers, including pet food, sealed, and be sure to use a covered kitchen trash can and recycling bins. You should also look for food sources like crumbs or leftovers beyond your kitchen, including under the couch, behind beds, in backpacks, or in purses.
- Choose Your Houseplants Carefully – Some houseplants are natural pest deterrents; For example, while we think lavender and rosemary smell delicious, mosquitoes, fleas, and moths hate those smells. Some kinds of mint are also deterrents to spiders and flies. If houseplant upkeep is too difficult, consider using a diffuser with essential oils of these same scents to refresh your home and deter bugs.
- Calk All Crevices and Cracks – Bugs and mice can squeeze their way through the tiniest of cracks. To prevent this, you need to seal any and all potential entryway cracks in your home. Check your baseboards, cabinetry, closets, attic, basement, and crawl space as well as your exterior walls and openings for plumbing, vents, or utility lines. If the caulk is not enough, seal larger holes with steel wool. Don’t forget to cover air vents and exhaust fans with mesh to keep larger pests like bats, birds, and squirrels out.
- Reduce Water Sources – Bugs and mice need water to live, so they’re more likely to make a home near moisture sources. To keep them from choosing your home as their home, get rid of potential water sources. Check throughout your home for any spills or plumbing leaks in bathrooms, kitchens, and basements, and be sure your houseplants aren’t draining or leaking.
Sure, bugs, mice, and other pests have their place in the world, but it’s not inside your home. We are here to help if you want more homecare tips or information on Durham, NC window shutters. Call or visit us today to learn more about our services.