Just like you need to update the window shutters on your Raleigh, NC home, you also need to give your garage some attention every once in a while.
Here are some tips for making your garage both useable and stylish again:
- Freshen Your Windows – If your garage windows are very old and dirty, it might be time to invest in replacement windows. New windows will help make sure your garage’s temperature is better controlled, which is better for your car, tools, and other equipment. If your windows are OK, give them a thorough cleaning. You can also add some window treatments to your garage windows to add more function and style. For example, window shutters are ideal for garages as they can be shut and locked for security and can be opened wide for fresh air and lots of light.
- Sort Into Categories – Take everything out of your garage and sort it into five sections: keep, donate, trash, recycle, and sell. If your sell pile is big enough, you can hold a yard sale to make some extra cash and show off your clean garage.
- Get Some Help – Depending on the size of your garage and its condition, you might need some help cleaning it out. Don’t be afraid to hire helpers or conscript members of your family on a weekend with good weather.
- Clean From Top to Bottom – Once you’ve taking everything out of your garage, give is a thorough deep clean. Start at the top and work your way down. For example, sweep away cobwebs from the ceiling and walls, clean out light fixtures, and dust your shelves and then clean the floor. Don’t forget to wipe away oil stains with a degreaser and use a leaf blower to get rid of dust and dried leaves. You can also try using a pressure washer to really get rid of old stains and dirt.
- Organize – When you move everything back into your garage, keep it organized by separating them into different categories like tools, cleaning supplies, car accessories, holiday or seasonal décor, landscaping equipment, and recreational equipment. As part of your organizing, be sure to buy quality storage. The best way to use your garage space well is to invest in high-quality storage. Make the best use of your space with shelves, drawers, and hanging hooks as well as plastic or metal bins that will keep the pests and grime away. Don’t forget to label everything!
- Clean Your Garage Door – Garage doors get messy, too. Use a brush or a sponge to clean your garage door with a mixture of gentle soap and water. Next, closely inspect your door for problems like rust, cracks, and rot. If you don’t see any issues, repaint your garage door for a fresh look. Don’t forget to inspect your garage door opener and lubricate the chain and screw.
For most people, garages are the home’s catchall for storage, hobbies, projects, recreational equipment, junk, and lots of dead leave, car debris, and other dust and dirt. But you don’t have to live like that! We are here to help if you want more tips on garage organization or Raleigh, NC window shutters. Call or visit us today to learn more!