Mold is one of the worst things for windows and window coverings on your Raleigh, NC home. Mold is a serious threat to both the health of your home and the people in it, especially since mold is often a precursor to rot and degradation.
But how does mold grow in the first place? How can you get rid of it? How can you stop it from growing at all? Mold is both treatable and preventable with the right tools and regular attention. Here are top mold-fighting and preventing tips:
- Clean Up Mold – If you see mold, you need to clean it up as soon as you can because it will grow quickly, and you don’t want to release spores into the air. For hard surfaces like windows, coverings, or doors, clean mold with a mixture of detergent and water and rag. If the mold resists that common solution, try adding in mold killers like hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, baking soda, or bleach.
- Plug Up Leaks – Extra moisture means mold, and oftentimes this extra moisture comes from leaks in your windows, window treatments, roof, walls, plumbing, and vents. If there’s an area where you think water may be getting inside, check it, and make sure everything is watertight and dry. If you have a damaged window or window shutter, be sure to replace it right away to prevent extra moisture from getting in. Any air or moisture that can get inside your home through a broken or damaged window or coverings will make it easier for mold to begin colonizing. A properly performing window and window treatment will prevent water and air infiltration.
- Mold is Everywhere – Mold spores can be microscopic, meaning if they’re in the house in one place, they’re everywhere. This is important for two reasons. One, it means that you need to take extra care when cleaning or removing mold as you don’t want to release mold spores into the air. And two, you should always seek medical attention if you or someone in your house might be experiencing mold-related health issues.
- Get Rid of Moisture – Mold thrives in moist, warm areas. So, if you have mold in your windows or coverings, it’s not because your home is dirty but instead is most likely because your home has some extra moisture. Prevent mold by getting rid of excess moisture. Use air conditioners and dehumidifiers to keep the humidity level in your home below 50%. You can also invest in mold inhibitors below interior paint.
- Add Ventilation – Poor ventilation is a common cause of excess moisture. A great way to prevent mold is to ensure you have proper ventilation to dry the air in your home. Open the windows and doors of your home, use fans, and turn on the air conditioner to bring in fresh, dry air.
Kiwi Designs, Fine Blinds & Coverings is here to help if you want more information on mold or your options for Raleigh, NC window coverings.