It’s essential to have a remodeling budget so you can guide your spending and purchasing decisions. But it’s also so easy to go over budget, whether you spend too much on cabinets, lose your way choosing window blinds in Durham, NC, or get trapped with hidden costs or unexpected problems.
Here are common reasons why kitchen remodels go over budget. Your kitchen will be great and you’ll stay on budget if you avoid these common pitfalls:
- Skipping Your Windows – It might seem counterintuitive, but not investing in replacement windows and upgraded window treatments when you remodel your kitchen will cost you more money in the long run. Why? Because older windows and blinds are less energy efficient, which means that they will hike up your heating and cooling costs and leave you with a blown budget. Take the time and money to upgrade your kitchen with replacement windows and new window blinds and you’ll save money in the long run.
- Upgrading Cabinets – The cost of cabinets varies widely depending on the material, finish, manufacturer, and a host of other factors. This wide price range means it’s easy to upgrade too much and go over budget. To prevent yourself from falling into this trap, decide up front what cabinet features are most important and choose cabinets based on those.
- Special Features – You can add countless special features to your kitchen, from corner drawers and wine racks to spice drawers, appliance garages, hidden pantries, and more. Each added feature will add to your overall cost, so really think about if you need a feature or if you just want it.
- Fancy Appliances – Like cabinets, appliances have a wide cost range that depends on make, model, features, and materials. If you want to save money on your kitchen remodel, choose appliances that are high-quality and durable, but not over-the-top. Do you really need the fridge that connects to WIFI?
- Scope Creep – If your kitchen remodels turns into a kitchen, dining room, and living room remodel, you’re going to spend more money. Avoid scope creep by taking extra planning time at the beginning of your project.
- Unforeseen Issues – Sometimes there are nasty surprises hidden in kitchens that are only revealed during a remodel. These surprises almost always cost money to fix, but they have to be dealt with. To account for unforeseen issues, build a sinking fund into your budget that will cover unexpected costs.
- Changing Your Mind – Changing your mind on design choices midway through your project will result in a change order, which will slow your timeline and increase your costs. Before you hit “send” on the cabinet order or call the contractor to demo that wall, be 100% sure you are 100% happy with your remodel design. Take an extra bit of thinking time, in the beginning, to be sure you love everything you have selected.
Be aware of these dangers and prevent yourself from falling into these traps. We are here to help if you want to learn more about remodeling or Durham, NC window blinds. Call or visit us today.